12 Nov 2022
Skills Upgrading Series for Green Building Practitioners - (4) Energy Efficient Buildings (12 and 26 Nov 2022)
Co-organised by the Hong Kong Green Building Council and BEAM Society Limited.
Organised by the Hong Kong Green Building Council (HKGBC), the series of Skills Upgrading courses are designed to give participants continuing education that is more in-depth than traditional CPD webinars. The first round of this Skills Upgrading programme started in March 2021 and was concluded in February 2022. From August 2022 to December 2023, another round of Skills Upgrading courses will be organised again by the HKGBC to enable practitioners to construct individual programmes of weekend studies that meet their development needs.
Course No. 4: Energy Efficient Buildings
This “Energy Efficient Buildings” course, which consists of two half-day lectures totalling 6 hours and is co-organised with BEAM Society Limited, will cover the following topics:
- General status of energy end-use in Hong Kong and typical usage pattern in buildings
- Principles of air-conditioning, meanings of cooling capacity and Coefficient of Performance (COP), typical refrigerants and their global warming potentials
- How to increase efficiency of chillers, oil-free magnetic bearing compressors, variable frequency drives
- Chilled water system, fluid flow and pressure drop, pump/fan curves, operating point, efficiency determination, pump sizing
- Air Handling Units (AHUs), psychrometric chart, dehumidification effect, ventilation rate calculation according to ASHRAE, heat recovery devices, chilled beams, chilled ceilings
- Passive building design, window technologies, dynamic/smart glass
- Demand-side flexibility: thermal mass, ice storage, battery storage for renewable energy; effects of including EV chargers in buildings
- Energy efficiency of appliances, energy labels
- Building energy simulation: software, simulation inputs and outputs
- Integrated design of net zero energy buildings
- Introduction to BEAM Plus credits related to Energy Use
Persons who have not received formal and structured training on air-conditioning. The course is intended for non-mechanical engineers, who wish to extend their knowledge in air-conditioning engineering. Participants who have attended the same course on 4 and 18 December 2021 need NOT enrol as the course contents are similar.
Date: 12 November & 26 November 2022 (Saturdays)
Time: 9:00am - 12:30pm (Registration starts at 8:45am)
Venue: This course will be conducted in the form of webinar via Zoom
Dr Denis YU Yau-wai, School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong
Ir Vicky NG, Assistant Manager (Project Assessment), BEAM Society Limited will conduct a 25-minute lecture on BEAM Plus on 26 November 2022 only
|Event Name:||Skills Upgrading Series for Green Building Practitioners - (4) Energy Efficient Buildings (12 and 26 Nov 2022)|
Dr Denis YU Yau-wai, Ir Vicky NG
|Date:||12 Nov 2022|
|Time:||9:00am – 12:30pm (Registration starts at 8:45 am)|
This course will be conducted in the form of webinar via Zoom
6 CPD hours will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro/ BEAM Affiliate Individual Accounts.
HK$650.00 (HKGBC Non-Members)
|Contact Person:||Ms Chloe Shiu|
12 November 2022
26 November 2022
|Language:||Cantonese with English materials|
- Lecture notes will be issued in electronic form before each lecture.
- The organiser reserves the right to change the dates of the lectures in case of adverse weather conditions.
- No Show / Cancellation – Cancellation must be made by email to email@example.com on or before 11 November 2022, 12:00 noon. Please quote your registration number in the email. There is NO refund on absence from the event and cancellation made after the deadline.
- A ‘Certificate of Attendance’ will be issued if a participant fully attends a topic (i.e. both lectures are attended).
Persons who have attended 8 or more different subjects (can be counted from the first course launched in March 2021, which was the first round of courses) under the Skills Upgrading series may apply for a “Comprehensive Certificate of Attendance” from the Secretariat to signify their achievement.
- Members of BSL can also enjoy the Member price. For details, please contact BSL Secretariat.
Limited seats. First come first served.