15 Oct 2022
Skills Upgrading Series for Green Building Practitioners - (3) Solid and Hazardous Waste Management (15 and 29 Oct 2022)
Co-organised by the Hong Kong Green Building Council and BEAM Society Limited.
Organised by the Hong Kong Green Building Council (HKGBC), the series of Skills Upgrading courses are designed to give participants continuing education that is more in-depth than traditional CPD webinars. The first round of this Skills Upgrading programme started in March 2021 and was concluded in February 2022. From August 2022 to August 2023, another round of Skills Upgrading courses will be organised again by the HKGBC to enable practitioners to construct individual programmes of weekend studies that meet their development needs.
Course No. 3: Solid and Hazardous Waste Management
This “Solid and Hazardous Waste Management” course, which consists of two half-day lectures totalling 6 hours and is co-organised with BEAM Society Limited, will cover the following topics:
- General considerations of solid waste in Hong Kong; classification of solid waste and recyclables, transfer and processing of solid waste; recycling, upcycling and down-cycling; government policies and effective waste management strategy
- Waste treatment facilities including organic waste, sludge treatment, electronic waste and waste-to-energy incineration facilities
- A closer look at selected waste streams: food and yard waste, construction waste and chemical waste
- Landfill sites in Hong Kong - West New Territories Landfill (WENT), North East New Territories Landfill (NENT) and South East New Territories Landfill (SENT); refuse transfer stations; operation and management of these facilities
- Leachate production, total organic carbon (TOC), biological and chemical oxygen demands (BOD/COD), anaerobic digestion, leachate treatment, sequential batch reactors (SBR), rotating biological contactors (RBC), membrane bioreactors (MBR) and reverse osmosis (RO)
- Landfill gas; ammonia stripping process
- Landfill capping; landfill restoration including creation of parks and recreation facilities; general precautions
Persons who have not received formal and structured training on waste management and leachate/ sewage treatment but wish to learn more about these topics. Participants who have attended the same course on 19 June 2021 and 3 July 2021 need NOT enrol as the course contents are similar.
Date: 15 October & 29 October 2022 (Saturdays)
Time: 9:00am - 12:30pm (Registration starts at 8:45am)
Venue: This course will be conducted in the form of webinar via Zoom
Dr Jason LAM Chun-ho, School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong
Ir Vicky NG, Assistant Manager (Project Assessment) of BEAM Society Limited will conduct a 40-minute sharing on BEAM Plus credits related to waste management on 29 October 2022 only
|Event Name:||Skills Upgrading Series for Green Building Practitioners - (3) Solid and Hazardous Waste Management (15 and 29 Oct 2022)|
Dr Jason LAM Chun-ho, Ir Vicky NG
|Date:||15 Oct 2022|
|Time:||9:00am – 12:30pm (Registration starts at 8:45 am)|
This course will be conducted in the form of webinar via Zoom
6 CPD hours will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro/ BEAM Affiliate Individual Accounts.
HK$650.00 (Non-HKGBC members)
|Contact Person:||Ms Chloe Shiu|
15 October 2022
29 October 2022
|Language:||Cantonese with English materials|
- Lecture notes will be issued in electronic form before each lecture.
- The organiser reserves the right to change the dates of the lectures in case of adverse weather conditions.
- No Show / Cancellation – Cancellation must be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 14 October 2022, 12:00 noon. Please quote your registration number in the email. There is NO refund on absence from the event and cancellation made after the deadline.
- A ‘Certificate of Attendance’ will be issued if a participant fully attends a topic (i.e. both lectures are attended).
Persons who have attended 8 or more different subjects (can be counted from the first course launched in March 2021, which was the first round of courses) under the Skills Upgrading series may apply for a “Comprehensive Certificate of Attendance” from the Secretariat to signify their achievement.
- Members of BSL can also enjoy the Member price. For details, please contact BSL Secretariat.
Limited seats. First come first served.