24 Mar 2022
CPD Webinar - Frontier Research on Transition Towards Demand-side Flexible Buildings
The webinar will be available at HKGBC CPD Online Training Portal (https://onlinecpdtraining.hkgbc.org.hk/) later after the event.
Please stay tuned.
This webinar is organised by the Hong Kong Green Building Council.
Energy-efficient design, cleaner power production and hybrid energy storage are essential for the transition towards zero-energy buildings and carbon-neutral districts. However, the transition towards net zero is full of challenges, requiring combined efforts from multi-disciplinary researches including photovoltaic technologies, electrochemical storages, artificial intelligence as well as other electrical and control technologies. In China, there is a popular term called “光儲直柔” meaning photovoltaics, energy storages, direct current distribution and demand-side flexibility.
In this talk, effective design strategies for “demand-side flexible buildings” will be introduced, including passive building designs (e.g. highly insulated materials, solar-reflective coatings on glazing, super-insulating aerogel glazing and daytime sky radiative cooling) and distributed renewable energy supplies (e.g. solar PV, wind turbines and earth-to-air heat exchangers). Hybrid energy storages and advanced energy management strategies will also be discussed, for renewable self-sufficiency and grid independence of building energy systems. Roadmaps for transition towards zero-energy buildings will be proposed, including a series of building energy-efficient technologies, distributed renewable energy technologies and hybrid energy storages (i.e. thermal, electrical and hydrogen). Furthermore, ideas and plans with integrated cutting-edge technologies are proposed to promote the transformation towards demand-side flexible buildings in district energy community.
Keywords: demand-side flexible buildings, distributed renewables, hybrid
thermal-electrical storages, shared EV charging facilities,
advanced energy management strategies
Speaker: Prof. ZHOU Yue-kuan, Assistant Professor, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou)
Prof. ZHOU Yue-kuan is an Assistant Professor from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou). He is an Affiliate Assistant Professor at the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). He has participated in IEA EBC 67 Energy Flexible Building since 2017 and worked in Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands) in 2019. He was awarded the Best Paper Award in CUE2020: Applied Energy Symposium: low carbon cities and urban energy systems, organized by Applied Energy journal. He has three highly cited papers (ESI 1%). He won the award “Outstanding PhD Candidate in International Conference on Energy and Built Environment” in 2021. Prof. Zhou is invited as guest editor to launch a special issue “Energy Flexible Buildings with Energy Conversion and Management Technologies” in the SCI journal, Applied Sciences, in 2021. His research expertise is mainly in the fields of zero/low energy buildings, energy flexible buildings, renewable energy, thermal, electrical and hydrogen storages, energy management and control strategy, as well as smart and optimal systems with machine-learning techniques.
|Event Name:||CPD Webinar - Frontier Research on Transition Towards Demand-side Flexible Buildings|
|Presented By:||Prof. ZHOU Yue-kuan|
|Date:||24 Mar 2022|
|Time:||5:00 pm - 6:00 pm|
This CPD event will be conducted in the form of webinar via Zoom.
(An event reminder with Zoom Webinar ID will be provided at around a week before the event.)
1 CPD hour will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro/ BEAM Affiliate Individual Accounts.
Free of Charge
HK$50.00 (HKGBC Non-Members)
|Contact Person:||Ms Wing CHOW|
- For BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate: Once you entered the valid BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate number during registration, member price will be entitled. Please register by clicking "Register (for BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate or non-member)".
- Seats are available on a first-come-first-served basis. Upon submission through this Online Registration Form, a seat is reserved for you.
- Please settle the fee before the event commences. At around a week before the event, email reminders of the event with the Zoom Webinar ID will be sent out to those who have successfully paid.
- The URL to join the webinar is unique to the email account that you have registered with. Please do not forward the link to other email accounts.
- No Show / Cancellation – Cancellation must be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 23 March 2022 12:00 noon. Please quote your registration number in the email. There is NO refund on absence from the event and cancellation made after the deadline.
- Certificate of attendance will be issued by email around a week after the event.
- The CPD hour(s) will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate Individual Account around a week after the event.
Limited seats. First come, first served.