22 Jan 2022
Skills Upgrading Programme for Green Building Practitioners - (11) Lighting Engineering
Collaboration Partner: School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong
This training programme has been designed to provide CPD education that is more in-depth and structured than traditional talks or seminars. Graduates in employment or experienced practitioners in the industry can construct individual programme of weekend studies that meet their own needs. Whether you would like to look for a focused treatment of an area beyond your first degree, a knowledge update in an area subject to rapid changes, a re-orientation to areas new to your scope of experience, or simply a broadening of knowledge, there are a variety of subject courses that meet your needs.
The programme offers a wide range of subject choices that span across key elements in the topic of green or sustainable building, including energy and carbon, indoor environment, outdoor environment, community aspects, materials and waste, building maintenance as well as climate change.
Taught by experienced faculty from the School of Energy and Environment at the City University of Hong Kong, this programme will also serve as an ‘appetiser’ for those considering to pursue post-graduate studies. Upon completion of the courses, participants will be able to gain a basic understanding of the subjects, which serves as a good foundation for further studies.
(11) Lighting Engineering
Humans need light for indoor and night time activities. About 6% of all energy in Hong Kong is used for lighting. But how much light is enough, how to design lighting in a room, and what types of lighting technologies are there on the market? The course will answer these questions by first teaching about the concepts of light such as intensity and illuminance and factors affecting them. Then, participants will study real-life applications through in-class demonstrations and learn about different lighting technologies.
What to cover: Luminous efficacy, luminous flux, intensity, illuminance, brightness, colour, design of electric lighting systems in buildings, fluorescent lamps, LED, light pipes, lighting applications, etc.
Learning Outcomes: On completion of the module, participants should be able to critically assess existing lighting conditions in a building and design new lighting systems based on building performance requirements. Besides, they should be able to make informed decisions on choice of lighting technologies.
Date: 22 Jan & 29 Jan 2022 (Sat) (Due to the ever-changing situation, we will keep you all well-informed on our latest arragement)
Time: 9:30am - 12:45pm (Registration starts at 9:15am)
Venue: The programme will be conducted via Zoom.
Speaker: Dr Denis Y.W. YU, Associate Professor, School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong
Ir Dr Denis YU is an Associate Professor at CityU. He possesses a PhD in applied physics and material science. He has taught the master course on energy efficiency and conservation technologies at the School of Energy and Environment for the past 5 years, including lighting technologies and building energy usages. He also conducted a study with Towngas on using dehumidifiers for building applications.
This training programme is subsidised by the Matching Grant Scheme for Skills Upgrading, which is one of the relief measures under the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region’s Anti-epidemic Fund.
Acknowledgement and Disclaimer:
Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in the materials/events in relation to this training programme do not reflect the views of the Government.
|Event Name:||Skills Upgrading Programme for Green Building Practitioners - (11) Lighting Engineering|
Dr Denis Y.W. YU
|Date:||22 Jan 2022|
|Time:||9:30 am – 12:45 pm (Registration starts at 9:15 am)|
This CPD event will be conducted in the form of webinar via Zoom.
(An event reminder with Zoom Webinar ID will be provided around a week before the event.)
6 CPD hours will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro/ BEAM Affiliate Individual Accounts.
HK$160.00 (HKGBC Non-Members)
|Contact Person:||Mr Ben LAU|
- Entry requirement: Participants shall be practitioners in the construction industry with a bachelor’s degree / higher diploma in a built environment-related discipline.
- Lecture notes will be issued in electronic form before each lecture. Participants may decide whether to print them out or bring a mobile device to read the materials during the lecture.
- The organiser reserves the right to change to online mode in case of change in the COVID-19 situation, or change the dates of the lectures in case of adverse weather conditions.
- No Show / Cancellation – Cancellation must be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 21 January 2022, 12:00 noon. Please quote your registration number in the email. There is NO refund on absence from the event and cancellation made after the deadline.
- Participants will be required to sign a health declaration form and take body temperature measurement before entering the lecture premises. Participants with health issues on the date of the lecture are advised to stay home and refrain from taking the lecture. Those with doctor’s sick leave certificates will be refunded the amount paid.
- If the lecture premises are equipped with LeaveHomeSafe QR code, lecture attendees shall use the LeaveHomeSafe mobile app to scan the QR code when entering the premises.
- All lecture attendees are advised to observe social distancing requirements and to wear face masks during the lecture.
- A ‘Certificate of Achievement’ will be issued for each topic completed and passed. Passing means the attainment of more than 50% score at the quiz administered at the end of each subject course.
- A ‘Certificate of Attendance’ will be issued if a participant fully attends a subject (i.e. both lectures are attended) but is unable to pass the quiz.
Limited seats. First come first served.
For non-BEAM Pro registrants, please submit your proof of academic qualifications before registration at this LINK.