04 Dec 2021
Skills Upgrading Programme for Green Building Practitioners - (10) Energy Efficient Buildings
Collaboration Partner: School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong
This training programme has been designed to provide CPD education that is more in-depth and structured than traditional talks or seminars. Graduates in employment or experienced practitioners in the industry can construct individual programme of weekend studies that meet their own needs. Whether you would like to look for a focused treatment of an area beyond your first degree, a knowledge update in an area subject to rapid changes, a re-orientation to areas new to your scope of experience, or simply a broadening of knowledge, there are a variety of subject courses that meet your needs.
The programme offers a wide range of subject choices that span across key elements in the topic of green or sustainable building, including energy and carbon, indoor environment, outdoor environment, community aspects, materials and waste, building maintenance as well as climate change.
Taught by experienced faculty from the School of Energy and Environment at the City University of Hong Kong, this programme will also serve as an ‘appetiser’ for those considering to pursue post-graduate studies. Upon completion of the courses, participants will be able to gain a basic understanding of the subjects, which serves as a good foundation for further studies.
(10) Energy Efficient Buildings
Buildings account for 90% of electricity consumption and 60% of greenhouse gas emissions in Hong Kong. Energy efficiency and conservation will have large economic as well as social impacts. The course will first describe the fundamental principles of HVAC system so that participants will understand where energy is being used in a building. Then, various technologies that can increase energy efficiency in buildings ranging from heat-exchangers to smart windows with in-class demonstration will be introduced.
What to cover: Heating, Ventilating and Air-conditioning (HVAC), coefficient of performance (COP), water pumps, Air Handling Units (AHU), variable frequency drive, oil-free magnetic bearing compressor, water-cooled condenser, heat pipes, chilled beams, smart windows, etc.
Learning Outcomes: On completion of the module, participants should be able to quantify the energy usage of different components inside a building and identify possible solutions to reduce energy use.
Date: 4 Dec & 18 Dec 2021 (Sat)
Time: 9:30am - 12:45pm (Registration starts at 9:15am)
Venue: Studio 1&2, 1/F, Innocentre, 72 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon (Exit C1 or H, Kowloon Tong MTR)
Speaker: Dr Denis Y.W. YU, Associate Professor, School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong
Ir Dr Denis YU is an Associate Professor at CityU. He possesses a PhD in applied physics and material science. He has taught the master course on energy efficiency and conservation technologies at the School of Energy and Environment for the past 5 years, including lighting technologies and building energy usages. He also conducted a study with Towngas on using dehumidifiers for building applications.
This training programme is subsidised by the Matching Grant Scheme for Skills Upgrading, which is one of the relief measures under the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region’s Anti-epidemic Fund.
Acknowledgement and Disclaimer:
Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in the materials/events in relation to this training programme do not reflect the views of the Government.
|Event Name:||Skills Upgrading Programme for Green Building Practitioners - (10) Energy Efficient Buildings|
Dr Denis Y.W. YU
|Date:||04 Dec 2021|
|Time:||9:30 am – 12:45 pm (Registration starts at 9:15 am)|
Sudio 1&2, 1/F, Innocentre, 72 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon (Exit C1 or H, Kowloon Tong MTR)
6 CPD hours will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro/ BEAM Affiliate Individual Accounts.
HK$160.00 (HKGBC Non-Members)
|Contact Person:||Mr Elliott TAM|
- Entry requirement: Participants shall be practitioners in the construction industry with a bachelor’s degree / higher diploma in a built environment-related discipline.
- Lecture notes will be issued in electronic form before each lecture. Participants may decide whether to print them out or bring a mobile device to read the materials during the lecture.
- The organiser reserves the right to change to online mode in case of change in the COVID-19 situation, or change the dates of the lectures in case of adverse weather conditions.
- No Show / Cancellation – Cancellation must be made by email to email@example.com on or before 3 December 2021 12:00 noon. Please quote your registration number in the email. There is NO refund on absence from the event and cancellation made after the deadline.
- Participants will be required to sign a health declaration form and take body temperature measurement before entering the lecture premises. Participants with health issues on the date of the lecture are advised to stay home and refrain from taking the lecture. Those with doctor’s sick leave certificates will be refunded the amount paid.
- If the lecture premises are equipped with LeaveHomeSafe QR code, lecture attendees shall use the LeaveHomeSafe mobile app to scan the QR code when entering the premises.
- All lecture attendees are advised to observe social distancing requirements and to wear face masks during the lecture.
- A ‘Certificate of Achievement’ will be issued for each topic completed and passed. Passing means the attainment of more than 50% score at the quiz administered at the end of each subject course.
- A ‘Certificate of Attendance’ will be issued if a participant fully attends a subject (i.e. both lectures are attended) but is unable to pass the quiz.
Limited seats. First come first served.
For non-BEAM Pro registrants, please submit your proof of academic qualifications before registration at this LINK.