23 Jul 2021
CPD Webinar - CIC Green Product Certificate: Carbon Footprint Labelling - Reinforcing Bar and Structural Steel, Energy and Carbon Efficiency in Buildings and Infrastructure
The webinar will be available at HKGBC CPD Online Training Portal (https://onlinecpdtraining.hkgbc.org.hk/) later after the event.
Please stay tuned.
This webinar is organised by the Hong Kong Green Building Council.
The webinar will provide an overview of the steel industry in Hong Kong in the last few decades from the public sector to the private sector, with highlights on:
(i) Overview of the steel manufacturing process, where does all the CO2 come from, and what is the industry doing about it;
(ii) What steel choices can be made to reduce the embodied carbon of the building, a look at other supply of high strength and good quality of steel products in Hong Kong;
(iii) Construction challenge of the recent completed mega-infrastructure and building projects using structural steel.
(1) Introduction to Construction Material Carbon Footprint Verification
This webinar is an introduction of the Construction Material Carbon Footprint Verification and covers: what is verification, the reasons of doing verification, together with basic principle and how to process a verification flow for construction material from the point of view of verification body (VB).
Speaker: Mr Conan LEE, Senior Service Development Officer, SGS Hong Kong Limited
Conan LEE has a strong background in applying carbon quantification and verification protocol. Over the past 10 years, Conan has successfully helped various organisations to establish their carbon inventory, as well as for their products and events. He has been actively engaged in numerous carbon audit or verification projects according to different local or internal verification schemes. In recent years, he also serves as a tutor for sharing recent development on carbon quantification and reporting requirements and promoting ways for achieving carbon reduction goals and awareness enhancement.
(2) Overview of Embodied Carbon Emission on Construction Site and Introduction of the Carbon Assessment Tool (CAT) by the Construction Industry Council (CIC)
(The content is identical with the CPD Webinar session named The Roadmap to CIC Green Product Certificate: Carbon Footprint Labelling - Ready Mixed Concrete: A First Step to Green and Sustainability on Construction Sites on 16 July 2021)
The built environment currently produces 33% of global energy consumption and near 40% of greenhouse gas emissions. Embodied carbon emission mitigation at the construction stage is getting more and more concerns in the industry.
The development of the Carbon Assessment Tool (CAT) by the Construction Industry Council (CIC) aims to promote awareness of the significance of embodied carbon in the built environment, reporting carbon during design, construction and procurement. It is designed to assist essential stakeholders in estimating and managing the embodied carbon footprint of their projects from an early stage to the construction stage and enable them to compare different design/construction solutions to achieve carbon emission reduction.
Speaker: Mr Desmond LEE, Senior Sustainable Design Engineer, Cundall Hong Kong Limited
Desmond Lee, Senior Sustainable Design Engineer, joined Cundall in 2015. He is passionate in seeking environmental friendly solutions and design strategies. He believes “sustainable”, “comfort”, and “cost effective” design can be truly achieved by applying total development sustainability principles at the early design stage.
Desmond has an educational background in Renewable Energy Engineering and Sustainable Architectural Design. He has over nine years of working experience in Sustainability Building Design. He is skilled in building energy simulation study, energy audit and energy saving solution.
He is a qualified BEAM Professional with strong solid management skills and has managed several BEAM Plus projects with successful delivery.
The combination of computational skills with his experience and understanding of sustainable design strategies enables him to evaluate and deliver sustainable solutions in a practical and cost-effective manner.
(3) The Role of Steel in Low Embodied Carbon Construction
Embodied Carbon in construction materials has a major impact on the environment. Steel is a core pillar in construction and the speaker would like to share his experience in what role steel plays in low embodied carbon construction.
Speaker: Ir Jeremy PONG, Director, Shiu Wing Steel Ltd
Ir Jeremy PONG is a Metallurgist and has a degree in Metallurgy and Materials Science from the University of Toronto. He has over thirty years of process engineering experience in transportation, chemical industry and iron and steel manufacturing. Ir PONG is a corporate member of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (Materials Discipline), a certified carbon auditor from Energy Institute and a member of the Iron and Steel Technology.
|Event Name:||CPD Webinar - CIC Green Product Certificate: Carbon Footprint Labelling - Reinforcing Bar and Structural Steel, Energy and Carbon Efficiency in Buildings and Infrastructure|
Mr Conan LEE, Mr Desmond LEE, Ir Jeremy PONG
|Date:||23 Jul 2021|
|Time:||4:00 pm - 5:30 pm|
This CPD event will be conducted in the form of webinar via Zoom.
(An event reminder with Zoom Webinar ID will be provided at around a week before the event.)
1.5 CPD hours will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro/ BEAM Affiliate Individual Accounts.
Free of Charge
HK$50.00 (Non-HKGBC members)
|Contact Person:||Mr Elliott TAM|
|Contact Email:||[email protected]|
|Language:||Cantonese (supplemented with English presentation materials)|
- For BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate: Once you entered the valid BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate number during registration, member price will be entitled. Please register by clicking "Register (for BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate or non-member)".
- Seats are available on a first-come-first-served basis. Upon submission through this Online Registration Form, a seat is reserved for you.
- Please settle the fee before the event commences. At around a week before the event, email reminders of the event with the Zoom Webinar ID will be sent out to those who have successfully paid.
- The URL to join the webinar is unique to the email account that you have registered with. Please do not forward the link to other email accounts.
- No Show / Cancellation – Cancellation must be made by email to [email protected] on or before 22 July 2021 12:00 noon. Please quote your registration number in the email. There is NO refund on absence from the event and cancellation made after the deadline.
- Certificate of attendance will be issued by email at around a week after the event.
- The CPD hour(s) will be automatically uploaded to attendees' BEAM Pro / BEAM Affiliate Individual Account around a week after the event.
Limited seats. First come, first served.