The Hong Kong Green Building Council (HKGBC) is committed to a sustainable built environment and adopts the following green measures for our events:
Energy Saving and reduce Carbon Footprint
- Event venues with energy saving measure and comply with energy efficiency standards are selected as far as possible.
- Event venues are situated in locations where public transport can be conveniently accessed to reduce the need for private transportation and unnecessary emission.
Waste Reduction and Recycling
- Go Green and Digital:
- Use electronic means (e.g. email, website) rather than printed materials for communications. Online version of Manuals, Order Forms, and Technical Guide are used as much as possible.
- Set up electronic means that allow participants to submit their registration or post-event survey, and collect event information, etc.
- Less Plastic:
- Avoid the use of disposable items by using reusable dishes, cutlery, glassware and linens; and if they must be used, use eco-friendly or biodegradable ones.
- Avoid the use of single use bottles for water.
- If being used, name badges do not come in plastic holders (or come in reusable holders) and lanyards will be recycled.
- Less Food Waste:
- Arrange appropriate quantity of food.
- Donate surplus food.
- Recycle First, Dispose Last:
- Event venues are selected with sufficient recycling facilities, waste-reduction and recycling programmes in their operations.
- Use recycled/eco-friendly materials - 100% or FSC Certified paper are selected for printed materials used for Conference booklets or brochures whenever possible.
- Sustainable elements will be integrated in the graphics, signage and design.
- Sustainability-conscious menus will be used as far as possible. Seafood that are unsustainably-produced will be avoided. Vegetarian snacks and meals are available to offer delegates with low-carbon and socially responsible options.
- Work with like-minded partners and vendors with strong commitment to sustainability.
- Provide Green Tips for Exhibitors or Event Partner to reuse the materials or use recycled materials.
Sustainable Actions for Event Participants
- Access the venues by public transports
- Avoid printing of excess materials
- Download the mobile app of the event if available
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle)
- Return their badges upon departure, so that they can be reused for future events
- Take as much food as you need to avoid food waste
- Separate the recyclables and dispose them to the recycle bins
Sustainable Actions for Exhibitions
- Avoid excessive decorations, if possible, use natural decorative materials e.g. green plants
- Use reused/recycled/recyclable materials as far as possible
- Maximise the usage of reusable panels, cabinets, signage boards and recyclable carpet
- Use e-brochure or e-catalogues and minimises the distribution of printed matters (e.g. catalogues, brochures)
- Reduce souvenirs or choose souvenirs with a practical use and made of reused/recycled materials
- Place recycling bins in booths, practise waste separation and dispose the recyclables into the recycle bins
- After the event, take the materials back for next use
HKGBC has already participated the "Green Event Pledge" which organised by the Environmental Protection Department (EPD). We commit to make reference to the EPD’s “A Waste Reduction Guidebook for Large Scale Event Organisers” (Guidebook) and implement various waste reduction initiatives when organising, co-organising, sponsoring or providing services to events in order to enhance the event's environmental performance, and encourage other organisations to follow suit.
"Green Event Pledge" by EPD